When I was in high school someone once said “Those who can do, Those who can’t teach, and those who can’t teach – teach sports”.
From a business perspective – I tend to agree with this sentence to a certain degree. The exclusion to this would be if your business & passion is teaching – then that would be your “doing..”
I’ve been in online marketing since 2006. Over the years – I have seen many people become very famous claiming titles such as marketing gurus, traffic prodigy, marketing leader etc.
Many of them made a fortune from selling digital products such as ebooks, courses, guides, manuals, blueprints, software, videos, tutorials, memberships sites etc – typically covering topics such as making money online, blogging, marketing, getting rich quick, becoming financially independent and what not.
They sold and continue to sell dreams, strategy & methods that provide their audience with the impression that anyone can become rich just by doing a few things online. Some of this pieces of information are valid and actually work for a while (until they get out dated) others are pure crap.
During my career I deliberately tried to avoid building my personal brand. I feared of getting famous and becoming successful (which is funny because as a kid i had some thoughts about becoming a fashion model). I believe a part of it has to do with the fact that I have dyslexia which has always made me very conscious about the content I produce.
I have gained massive amount of knowledge doing what others were teaching – often several years before they even figured it out and started talking about it.
So why now? Why start this website? Why bother? Why would I change my mind about staying rather anonymous and actively work towards building my personal brand? Why would I even risk possibly becoming one of those guys?
To be honest – i still don’t have all of the answers to these questions.
What I can tel you though is the following:
- I am NOT building this website hoping or planing to make any significant money from it.
- I am NOT building this website with a specific goal in mind.
- I did NOT set any revenue or traffic KPIs.
- I am NOT optimizing the content for search, social or any other bullshit like that.
- I do NOT consider myself a content person. I’ve never taken a course in creative writing. I actually suffer from a very sever phonological dyslexia which makes it super hard for me to gather my thoughts and whip out long articles. Personally I am a huge fan of short communication and keeping things as concise as possible.
- I AM very good at hacking things, understanding patterns, breaking down processes into step by step instructions, thus I DO plan on sharing this type of information.
- I have always been autodidact, thus I LOVE investing a lot of time learning new things really deep so that I can thoroughly understand how and why they work the way they do (rather then memorizing and reciting information)
- I guess I am building this website as a personal challenge to myself to see if I can actually step up my game and turn myself into a content creator, ideally mastering the art of storytelling (since i’ve had such a setback about creating content for so many years).
Setting expectations (notes to self):
- Publishing at least 50 posts by the end 2017
- Publishing at least 2 courses that might help other people skip a few steps, save money and time on their own road to monies
- Get an email from at least 3 people asking me to write about a specific topic / subject
What can you expect to see on this website:
- My own personal thoughts, experiences and stories about business, particularly around areas I have dug deep into such as online marketing, advertising, sales, team building and management.
- Marketing, sales and advertising methods I have discovered that worked well. Note these could be very case specific and might not work the same when translated to other products, industries, GEOs etc.
- Resources I use to get shit done.
If you like what you read – stick around. If not, no worries – I still intend to keep this challenge for 2017.